Allergy, Asthma & Immunology
At Mount Sinai Doctors Long Island our experts in allergy, asthma, and immunology provide comprehensive care to patients suffering from a variety of allergies and immune disorders. Treatments are tailored to meet the needs of each patient.
Our physicians have expertise in:
- Allergic rhinitis and sinusitis
- Eczema and allergic skin disorders
- Eosinophilic esophagitis and gastroenteritis
- Insect allergies, including severe reactions to bee stings
- Food allergies
- Immune deficiency
- Medication allergies
- Urticaria and angioedema
Treatments available include:
- Over-the-counter and prescription allergy medications
- Home aerosol and nebulizer therapy
- Metered dose inhalers – breath-activated devices
- Peak flow meter monitoring
- Immunotherapy (allergy injections)
- Intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG)
- Sublingual immunotherapy
Our doctors focus on prevention of symptoms by advocating the cessation of smoking and assisting patients in the reduction of in-home airborne allergens.
The physicians of the Mount Sinai Doctors Long Island allergy and immunology practice have access to research being conducted by other experts in the Mount Sinai Health System. Studies have been done exploring new treatments for conditions such as Crohn’s Disease and Rheumatoid Arthritis. Mount Sinai Health System physicians are also investigating the root causes of primary immune deficiency disease, inflammatory bowel disease, food hypersensitivity, food-related anaphylaxis, and allergic dermatitis. They are also developing new strategies for treating food allergies, including working with recombinant protein engineering and plasmid DNA.